Different treatment methods for treating Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism occurs when you have an overactive thyroid gland or the thyroid releases more hormones than your body needs. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped organ located in the front of your neck. The main hormones released by the thyroid gland are:- triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). The hormones produced by the thyroid control your metabolism – the body’s metabolism, breathing, body temperature, heartbeat, and other body functions.
If you have hyperthyroidism your entire metabolism gets speeded up. Hyperthyroidism accelerates your body’s metabolism causing unintentional weight loss and rapid heartbeat. There are several treatment options available to treat hyperthyroidism. If you do not respond to the medical treatment you may need surgery to remove the thyroid gland.
Hyperthyroidism can have a range of symptoms. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:-
- Rapid heartbeat or tachycardia
- Irregular heartbeat or arrhythmia
- Pounding of the heart or palpation
- Nervousness, anxiousness, and irritability
- Weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Diarrhea or Change in bowel patterns
- Double vision
- Thin skin
- Menstrual irregularities
- Heat sensitivity and excessive sweating.
- Swelling and enlargement of the thyroid gland (goiter)
- Bulging eyes
- Hair loss and hair becoming brittle
- Muscle weakness
- Fatigue and muscle weakness
Book a doctor in Pune if you think you unexplained weight loss, palpitation, excessive sweating, or any symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism. There are many diseases with similar symptoms that need may need medical attention.
Hyperthyroidism is caused when the thyroid gland produces too much T3 and T4 hormones. Hyperthyroidism can be caused by the following conditions:-
- Graves disease is an auto-immune disease where your body attacks the thyroid gland. Your thyroid produces too much thyroxine (T4). Graves’s disease is a hereditary condition. The condition is more common in women. Most cases of hyperthyroidism are due to Graves disease.
- Thyroid nodules are a lump or the growth in cells in the thyroid gland. These lumps cause your thyroid to produce more hormones than your body needs.
- Thyroiditis is a term used to describe the inflammation of the thyroid gland. When inflamed the thyroid can produce excessive hormones.
- Iodine if you consume too much iodine it can result in the thyroid producing too many hormones. Excessive iodine can be consumed through diet or medications.
Many women develop hyperthyroidism during pregnancy.
The best doctor in Pune will review your medical history. They will conduct a comprehensive medical examination. The doctor may check your reflexes and examine your thyroid gland and check your pulse to see if it is irregular.
The doctor near me may order the following test:-
- Blood tests at home to confirm the diagnosis. The test ordered is the TSH test. When you have hyperthyroidism your T3 and T4 levels are higher than normal and the thyroid-stimulating hormone is lower.
- Imaging tests such as thyroid scan and thyroid ultrasound will allow the physician to examine your thyroid gland.
- The radioiodine uptake test examines how much radioactive iodine is absorbed by the body.
The best doctor in Pune will treat hyperthyroidism depending on the cause of the disorder. There may be some side-effects to the treatment method, discuss side-effects with your doctor. Treatment options include:-
- Anti-thyroid medication reduces symptoms by preventing the thyroid from producing hormones.
- Radioactive iodine is taken every month to absorb by the thyroid gland. This encourages the thyroid to shrink.
- Beta-blockers are used to ease symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism.
- Surgery is opted for when medication is not working or you are pregnant.
The ayurvedic doctor in Pune will treat hyperthyroidism by reducing your pitta. In Ayurveda, it is believed imbalance in your digestive system causes an imbalance in your metabolism as well. The doctor tries to rebalance the doshas to treat the condition. The homeopathic doctor in Pune will try to hyperthyroidism by trying to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce the right amount of hormones.