Understanding Heart Valve Disease
The heart has four chambers. The upper chambers (left and right) called atria and lower chambers (left and right) called ventricles. Your heart has four valves that ensure the blood flows in the correct direction.
If you have heart Valve disease, one or more valves in your heart do not function properly. The valves may not open or close properly. This can disrupt blood flow throughout the body.
The different valves in the heart are:-
- The tricuspid valve (the right atria and right ventricles).
- Pulmonary Valve (the right ventricle and the pulmonary artery).
- Mitral Valve (the left atria and left ventricle).
- Aortic Valve (the left ventricle and aorta).
Different types of heart valve diseases are:-
- Stenosis (narrowing of the valve) is a condition where your heart valve does not open properly. This can cause heart strain.
- Regurgitation (leaking of the valve) is a condition where your heart valve does not close properly. This lets blood flow back through the valve. Your heart needs to work harder to pump blood to circulate through the body.
Symptoms of heart valve disease are:-
- Abnormal sound (heart murmur)
- Chest Pain
- Abdominal swelling
- Low or high blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in the ankle and feet
- Dizziness and light headiness
- Irregular heartbeat
Book a cardiologist in Mumbai if you have any of the symptoms or the physician near me detects heart murmur during a routine examination.
The heart valves are like flaps that open and close during each heartbeat. If the valves do not function or open or close properly, it can hamper blood flow throughout your body. Heart valve disease can depend on several factors such as-
- Congenital defect or when the baby is born with damaged valves.
- Aging of valves
- Valve damage or scarring because of rheumatic fever
- A history of valve infection also called endocarditis.
- Coronary heart disease and heart attack
- Inherited conditions such as myxomatous degeneration.
The best cardiologist in Mumbai will evaluate your symptoms and conduct a physical examination. During the examination, they will listen for signs of a heart murmur. The cardiologist near me may order the following tests:-
- Echocardiography (Echo)
- Electrocardiogram or ECG
- Chest X-ray
- Stress Test
- Cardiac Catheterization
The best cardiologist in Mumbai may opt to monitor your heart valve and heart function. The treatment plan will depend on several factors such as the valve affected, the number of valves that are not functioning properly, the severity of symptoms, and your general health. The doctor may devise the following treatment plan:-
- Medication will not repair the damaged heart valve but will provide relief against the symptoms.
- The best cardiac surgeon can perform surgeries to repair or replace the damaged valve. Surgery options include:-
- Heart Valve Repair is the remodeling or repair of the abnormal heart valve. This can ease many of the symptoms.
- We opt for heart Valve Replacement for when the valve is destroyed or severely deformed. The surgeon replaces the defective valve with a new valve. This new valve may be donor human valve or an animal valve or a mechanical valve.
- Non-Surgical treatment methods that the cardiologist near me may opt for are:-
- A balloon valvuloplasty is a non-surgical method that uses a balloon to widen the narrowed heart valve.
- The transcatheter valve replacement method is a non-surgical procedure that is used to replace the aortic valve or mitral valve.